Sunday, March 13, 2011

So I was at home today, waiting for the photo's that I just put on my moms facebook to upload (because for some reason, no matter how many times I show her how to do it, she cannot remember), and I plopped down on the comfiest couch ever and did what any 19 year old, university-going girl would do. Wrapped myself in two huge blankets and turned on TLC. Hell yea.

The show that was on had no recognizable faces, unlike John&Kate Plus 8, or Extreme Makeover Home Edition, or even What Not to Wear. And it took me a few seconds before I realized that this was a reality show, set in the home of a polygamous family. As I watched the first episode, it didn't look all that abnormal and I started thinking "Hey this family is normal! They all love each other, so what if the guy had three wives?". It went on to talk to the wives, and how they all love each other and have been happily married to him for 20, 17 and 16 years.
This is them. "Sister Wives"

In the NEXT episode, I went right back to my primary thoughts on polygamy: it's so wrong. The husband had a perfect life with 3 wives and 12 (and a half, there was a bun in one of  the ovens) loving children. But then he went and decided he needed another wife. WHY THE HELL WOULD YOU DO THAT TO YOUR FAMILY! The rest of the episodes I watched - I think I watched 5 consecutive episodes.. Sunday Afternoon Marathon haha.. Anyway, the rest of the episodes were of the wives crying over having to stretch their time with their husband to the max as he "courted" this new chick. All the kids, who had all been born after he was married to his third wife, thought it was weird to welcome someone else into their house. All the wives were having melt downs and the new wife was crying because she felt like she was tearing apart the existing family.

The husband was very sympathetic to all four of the women, but the dipshit did nothing about it. You would think if you saw one of YOUR actions tearing apart your family that was so solid before, you would call it off because you love these people. But he went through with it. Then his first wife approached him and was all like "I'm jealous that your spending so much time with Wife #4, how would you feel if I was spending time with another man like that?" to which he replied "Well that thought just sickens me! I would definitely NOT be alright with that!" .. o.0 So wife #1 cried a while longer (shes in her mid 40's) and then, to make her feel better, he took her to mexico and proposed that she carry another one of his children. ... o.0


Verdict: Polygamy is stupid and selfish. 


Anyway, I got wrapped up in that series all afternoon. Time to go to bed or study.

No comments:

Post a Comment