Saturday, March 12, 2011

I Keep Forgetting to Buy Mustard- Shoot

My goodness, is it day four already?
                         .. don't look so impressed :(

My no facebook run has hit a new record. I feel slightly pathetic proclaiming this to the world (er, I mean, my five friends who read this) but none the less it is a milestone for me. I can't remember ever going longer than three days without facebook (minus this summer at my family reunion where there was hardly any electricity let alone internet).

I'm at home, I slept in until 11:00am today- it felt great. But I didn't just sleep that long for no reason, no. I had a late night last night, staying up talking with my mom. It was actually one of the most fun conversations I've had with my mom in a long time. I told her about my idea to write a local history paper on the prank-based rivalry of the Agro's and the Engineers at my university, which sparked a bunch of fond memories of my mom's years at U of S.

She was never an actual Agro, she just hung out with them alot. She told me all about how "back in the day" her and her friends used to meddle in the Engineers lives alot, including stealing every microwave, kettle and other small appliances from the Engineer lounge and holding them ransom until they coughed up almost $300! .. to a random mailbox of course. She guessed that they probably still don't know who did it.

She also went on to talk about how her and a bunch of her girlfriends bought an old beat up car for $10. She said they pained it red and wrote "Courtesy of the Engineers" on the sides. In the dead of night, they snuck the car into the Arts building and parked it at the base of the Arts Ramp ( for those of you that don't know, the Arts Ramp is used instead of stairs to connect the first and second floors of the Arts Building, and has thousands of people trapse over it everyday). People climbed over it for two days before security finally moved it.

Another one of her pranks involved "accquiring" 30 sheep from a local farmer, then "storing" them inthe Engineer lounge. I thought this was  hilarious. But the best part of the whole thing was just getting to talk with my mom normally. Sometimes when I come home, my mom treats me like more of a guest, putting on the happy face that I recognize only when we have company over. But last night it was like she was talking to me like nothing had changed, and that was nice.

And it made me ponder if I have any similarities to my mom. I used to think we were mostly opposite, she was always planning things and very organized whereas I was always more Dad-like with my lack of need for things to be organized and planned. I always kind of thought mom was the safe one of my parents, the one that always took the high road and never stepped out of line. I honestly have no idea where I got that picture from, maybe it's just because she never talked of her "wild days" with me like dad did. But after last night, I realized I'm more like my mom that I thought. We both have similar sense of humor, and back when she was my age, she wasn't the same organized person she is now, but instead was just into having a good time. I have always been afraid of turning into my parents (I think everyone has that fear to some extent), but I mean, why should I be? My parents are laid back and cool (well as cool and laid back as parents should be, I mean, they  don't set a strict curfew but at the same time they don't encourage drugs or disrespect).

Note: Does anyone else feel like chewing on a boiled lentil is like biting on a sack of dust? Its just so.. gross and dry.

No comments:

Post a Comment