I'm thinking about converting to Irish. Is that possible? Doubtful, but I will do my best.
Firstly, I like wearing the color green. Oddly enough, today I have been repeatedly pinched for not showing my St. Patrick's spirit and wearing purple instead. Secondly, every once and a while I like to dance the odd jig. (And by that I mean, I enjoy listening to jiggy music when the circumstances are right). Thirdly, Green Beer. Fourthly, THE FOOD IS UNBELIEVABLE! I'm so impressed with it- even the soggy-looking cabbage was awesome! Fifthly- Everyone can dress in ridiculous costumes and get away with it. Which we shouldn't need an excuse to do anyway, but none the less.
I'm in a surprisingly energetic and good mood today considering for the past two days I have been overtired and irritable. Maybe it's because the coffee at the Arts caffeteria is strong enough to keep an elephant up for a week, or maybe it's because I got ~%80 on my history paper (that I wrote in two hours haha). But it's most likely because of my history class today.
Let me give a bit of background on my history class here. The course title, "Post Confederation Canada", implies that it will be a boring class that will pretty much review all the stuff you learned in Canadian History in high school. WRONG! Best class I have taken all year! .. besides Drama 118, but you can't really compare that because that was more like playtime than an actual class. Anyway, our prof spews out the most interesting parts of history and skips over the boring political stuff. So far, and this might offend some of you, we have learned about the history of professional sports, sexuality, the KKK, the Great Depression, shell shock from WWI, and even so far in as local murders. But today we were focusing alot on the Great Depression and the prof went on about how men would ride the railway and sing songs like in that move Oh Brother Where Art Thou or whatever. So he whipped out a harmonica and started playing, then put lyrics on the board and made all 180 of us sing along. Haha at first I was one of the only ones singing and by the end of the song, everyone was belting out the chorus. It was so fun, although that song, "Hallelujah I'm a Bum" is still ringing in my head.
Some of the things we learn in history are heartbreaking. I'll post a couple of the videos we watched to prove it.
This is 1 of 5 installments on shell shock, it shows some of the effects like a man who can only hear the word "BOMB" or a man who can ONLY speak as if he is a politician lecturing an audience or a man who can only mimic those around him. These are real videos- its scary!
Doctors of the time blamed shell shock on "Bad Mothering" because a man would only be affected by the gruesome effects of war if his mother was overprotective of him and didn't let him play with guns as a boy.
Anyway, sigh that was kind of a damper on this post but I'm still in a good mood. Happy St. Patty's day kids! :D
No comments:
Post a Comment