Laying in bed writing mental notes about all the packing and moving I have to do tomorrow. Just as I was hitting the light to MAYBE start dozing off, my sister bursts into my room. Now there is several things that run through my mind every time she does this.
1. Something is wrong and I need to get up and help immediately
2. Something is weird and I should probably know about it or...
3. Something is hilarious and I'm probably going to laugh for the next half hour.
She looked at me with a perfectly straight face and then started laughing and said "Oh my gosh Jory, I just found my old diary." Yea, I was pretty pumped. I have two diaries from my younger days that I've read with her multiple times. One is from elementary school and another one is junior high. We laugh at all the little things that I thought were huge deals back then and at my complete lack of better judgement. But she has never read me hers because it's been lost for years. Anyway, I got to relive our first school dance through her eyes and her boyfriend dramas. But the more she read, the more I realized that a lot of her entries were about me and MY life. I had forgotten that I had to stick up for my sister to my so called "best friends" when they started back stabbing her and calling her rude and judgmental. I remembered how that killed me to think that they would stoop so low as to come to me to bash my little sister. I forgot about the track and field race in grade one when she lost her shoe in the middle of the run and I stopped to wait for her so we could both finish last. And I forgot about the one night when my old suitor (is that a nice enough word for stalker?) threatened suicide because I didn't love him back.
We ended up laughing at most of her entries, like her first introduction to beer at a grade eight party and how she just had an :o expression on her face as she watched our best guy friend take a swig. And when we both got asked to be grad escorts and excitedly said yes... to our ex's. We laughed because we both know that in the end, both of us would end up declining last minute. Another one about how the girl who we are now best friends with, had called her ugly and annoying and beaked her to everyone she could back in grade nine. There's even an entry about when the first guy in our class started growing facial hair.
Anyway I just thought I would write this down so I can come back and look at it later. Who knows when that diary will show its floral-covered face again?
By the way, the other day my sister told me that the emoticon " :o " reminds her of me.
... And I asked myself... "What? :o"
Diaries are such a potent link to your past. Your past and your memories make you who you are. Diaries are good things.
ReplyDelete